Weekend wonderings

The human brain is amazing; the things we can cram into it, the things that can come out, and - most interesting in my opinion - the order by which things come back out.

Right now, for example, all I'm thinking about is Atlantis - not the resort in the Bahamas, no, I'm talking Plato's legendary sunken island - and I have NO idea what on earth provoked that totally random thought. Which of course got me thinking again. 

So, for your edutainment, here's a sampling of my weekend thoughts to show how one even arrives at this corner of bizarre and arbitrary. 


First up:





Brandon's been refinishing an old writing desk for my aunt, and since the temperature here on LI was above "absurd" for a few moments this weekend, he was going at it like a madman. This of course meant that I should help him, which I did... until I got bored like 15 minutes after sanding the same stubborn spot.

Which led to Thought # 2:




I should update my blog! I've been wanting to shnaz it up a bit and decided now was as good a time as ever. A million "help" forums and way too many hours later, ta-da! A quirky little sidebar creation. What do you think? (You can even click on the stapler to jump to our About Us page).

Thought #3



Long Island Children's Ministry Conference.
I had no choice but to think about this one since I physically had to be there, and it ended up being a lot more enjoyable than I had anticipated, thanks largely to the four volunteers from our church who joined me, God's grace, and my low expectations (it could only go up from there)!

From there it was only a matter of time till one of the speakers said something that sparked my next mental tangent... here comes Thought #4.
I want to adopt, but holy moly does it cost a lot. As if raising kids didn't cost enough already (approx. $222,300 from birth to 18 as found by the USDA - don't ask me why the dept. of agriculture is doing that study), but throw another $30,000 on top of that for average adoption costs. Angelina and Brad, can you spare a few kids for me?  Thankfully, there's Orphan Impact, a faith-based organisation that exists to offer financial support to families overburdened by the financial cost of adopting overseas.

Thoughts of adopting kids easily transformed into thoughts of actually having kids, which moved right along to...


Thought #5: 
We HAVE to read our kids all of the "Chronicles of Narnia" books from our vintage 1970's box set. Sure the movies have been good too, but nothing beats C.S. Lewis' writing, he's brilliant!

Enter Thought #6. 
An impromptu Google search to revel in C.S. Lewis' astoundingly wise writings led me straight to this quote: "Write about what really interests you, whether it is real things or imaginary things, and nothing else."


After a few minutes of mulling it over - real things, imaginary things, real things, imaginary things...

Hmm, I wonder if Atlantis was real or imaginary?

And that's how my odd little mind works over the course of 48 hours. Weird, huh?  At least I have a post topic for the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love and leave a comment!