What do you want?

Do you want God, or just the things He gives you? What a convicting question. If I'm honest, the answer is usually the latter. My Bible study group looked at this question during our last meeting, and it's still gnawing away at my conscience. Romans 3: 10-12 says, "None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one" (ESV).  It seems harsh at first that Paul would write such a statement, but how true it is! A modern day example of this is when The Times invited authors of the day to write essays exploring the question "What's Wrong with the World Today?" and G.K. Chesterton replied with a simple letter saying, "Dear Sirs, I am. Sincerely yours, G.K. Chesterton."  Therein lies the problem, me. Sin misplaces the aim of our life and shifts our focus from God onto ________ (fill in anything other than God). Subsequently, our desires follow suit and no one is to blame except ourselves.

My confession: I think I'm better than others - Christians and non alike - and therefore feel I deserve something from God. My sin has moved me so off mark that I'm constantly trying to reason with God and barter my "goodness" for His blessings. Lord, forgive me. Your love is enough. Jesus is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love and leave a comment!