HOLIDAY RECAP PT. 1

Schnike's, is it the middle of February already?  It seems like only a couple weeks ago we were hanging our Christmas stockings and spiking our eggnog.  I guess we'd better dive right in with part one of this holiday recap:  Cutting the Cameron Christmas Tree.




First off, a mini photo shoot with a reluctant hubby all in the name of beautiful early morning light. 


OK.  I'm ready now.  That's my "I mean business face."


We're completely responsible adults.


I swear.

- - - - - - -

We've lived in Colorado for two Christmas' now, and each season Aunt Wendy has invited us to go chop down our own tree with her and Scott. Since this was our second year, this is officially now a Cameron Christmas tradition (check out our first year). The day starts with a quick-ish drive up to the mountains, followed by an hour of wandering around the woods, Brandon then begs me to pick a dang tree already, I respond by prolonging my decision - ultimately changing my mind after the deed is done, don't forget about the copious amounts of warm adult beverages and finally, a charity buffet lunch hosted by the local fire department on our way back out of town. There wasn't any snow on the ground this year, which took a little of the magic out of it, but Brittany was with us this time - so it all evened out.



We found the same rock formation from last year and didn't miss the opportunity for a little scrambling up to the top for a scenic overlook.








(I love the picture above because if you zoom in on Scott's glasses, you can see the rest of us in the reflection!)






Can you keep a secret? It's called the Bucksnort Saloon. You get there by a small dirt road, and as you drive by the shanty's perched atop boulders (we're talking Swiss Family Robinson stuff here), you start getting this vibe that it wouldn't be totally out of the question to be shot by a hillbilly in red long john's. That ominous feeling quickly subsides though when you step inside this untouched rustic relic.  It's a family friendly place, where the locals are inviting and the warm wood stove is welcoming.  It's weird, yet fantastic, and forever a little haunting. We'll definitely be going back.







What can I say?  Cutting down your own Christmas tree is hard work, but someone has to do it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love and leave a comment!