Enter, the Johnson family. Nicknamed the "Zero Waste Family," they seem extreme to some, but they're exactly the right dose of inspiration I've been needing.
Bea, her husband and two sons live in Mill Valley, CA and practice Reduce, Reuse & Recycle - plus a couple of extras: Refuse and Rot.
REFUSE = This is my new mantra. The Johnson's are avid about not letting trash enter their home, and I'd say it's working because the amount of trash they accumulate annually amounts to only a few HANDFULS. One trick they use (that I'll quickly be adopting) is bringing reusable jars and cloth sacks to the grocers and farmers markets, where they buy in bulk to eliminate food packaging. At home, everything from deli meats and cheeses, to homemade toothpastes and shampoo, get stored in glass containers. Simple. Organized. Beautiful. (Martha Stewart eat your heart out).
ROT = Food scraps - and in the Johnsons' case, their biodegradable toothbrushes - can be composted instead of landfilled. This process is faster, more effective and yields the best fertilizer juice ever, for all you green thumbs out there. The unit pictured above with Bea's husband is a vermicomposting bin (which means worms), and I'm officially putting it on my Christmas list. We'll (hopefully) have our own place by then, so if I screw it up and find worms making a mass exodus across the kitchen floor, it won't be as troublesome.
And, oh my gosh, look at their closets. Bea (the sole woman in the house, mind you) maxes out at 6 pairs of shoes, 7 tops, 7 pants, and 2 skirts. Here's a side by side comparison of our two closets - and this is mine POST moving cutbacks. Keep in mind I have another 8 plastic bins brimming with clothes not pictured here.
Zero Waste diet, here I come!




I LOVE THIS!! I try to never waste anything, but I defiently doooooooo..... I love this!
ReplyDelete-Amy
Many thanks for a good time visiting your web blog. It's really a pleasure knowing an internet site like that rich in great information.
ReplyDelete