I guess reminiscing over old photos will have to do for now.
One of the most memorable trips I've ever taken was to Thailand (by way of Singapore) in July of 2006. It was such a random thing too, because I wasn't planning it - nor could I afford it - but a high school friend was planning the excursion with a few friends and contacted me out of the blue and invited me along. DONE. (By the way, if there are any other long lost friends looking for a traveling partner... I'm your gal!)
![]() |
| Vibrant colors everywhere you turn! It was like walking through a Skittles commercial. |
The first leg of my trip was a 6 hour flight from NYC to LAX, followed by another 12 hour flight to Tokyo. From there I hopped on a 7 hour flight to Singapore, where I finally met up with someone I knew. Basically, July 15, 2006 was a non-existent day in history for me.
![]() |
| Lunch options. Hmm, which should I choose the oozing squid or the sting ray that's still spasming in the ice box? I'll have a coconut. |
There is something wildly freeing about traveling alone - if you have the right constitution. I'm not sure I'd enjoy it now though, because I can barely imagine going to the food store without my husband, let alone a different country. What can I say? I'm addicted to him!
Part of the draw to visiting this part of the world during July was the minimal tourist crowds, and we quickly learned that was due to the fact that it was MONSOON SEASON! Whoopsie. Guess we should have read our travel books a little more closely. I hope this doesn't cause any trouble for us during the next leg of our trip where we all cram into a boat and sail off into the unknown, away from all civilization.... and help...
You'll have to wait for Thailand travels, chapter 2 to find out. (This is my shameless ploy to get you coming back to my blog). Besides, all that talk of squid and sting ray made me hungry - time to go food shopping!



these pictures look awesome jen!!! i would looooove to get to thailand some day. and yes, i think traveling alone can be awesome. i don't see it happening for me for quite some time, but i'm glad you got to do it!!
ReplyDelete