| Ouray circa 1910 |
![]() |
| Ouray circa last week |
We drove in on a warm and sunny afternoon after a 6 hour drive from Denver and the first two things we saw were 1) our motel's welcome sign: "ICE ICE BABY" and 2) the local brewery's roof top deck. Instant love.
When we weren't at the ice park, we were usually at said brewery making friends with fellow climbers and drinking hot toddies. But before you go and judge us as a bunch of alchies, you should know that this pub had swings instead of bar stools, t-shirts of Jesus wearing ice climbing gear, and an "Opens at" sign that stated 11:07 am.
I convinced someone working at the festival to let me take a ride on the closed zip line - boo yah!
I know this picture is out of focus, but it makes me happy, so I'm including it.
No climbing town, especially an ice climbing town, should be without its own hot springs. The only beef I had with this place was its ridiculous $12 entrance fee and bossy lifeguards, but you forget about that pretty quickly when you're soaking in a cozy 102 degrees under the starry mountain sky.
Take my word for it: Ouray is the bomb diggity and you're not cool until you've been there.
Just try not to drive back home through the mountain passes in a snowstorm. It's not fun.













Wow, Jen and Brandon. Ouray. You did that?! Cool. Fun! Pales in comparison to Minot, ND. Um ....let's see....we have icy, snowy streets right now. Does that count? You're making a Colorado boy veerrry homesick. :) Keep living life! Keep posting, so we can read about it. Love you, Mom C
ReplyDeleteAwesome pics! Drunk octopus is pretty much the best thing I have ever seen. I laughed out loud!
ReplyDelete