Update: Blogger© spirals into a catastrophic 24 hour meltdown. Posting feature disabled.
Update: Blogger’s cramp alleviated. Suddenly want to write, but can’t. Figures.
-----
I’m not always the environmental activist that my family and husband think I am.
I’m passionate about saving the earth and doing my part, sure, but I can be just as lazy as the next person and quite often opt for shortcuts or make exceptions.
Example A: I hated a holly tree so much that I actually cheered on the landscapers who came wielding chainsaws to cut it down.
Had this holly tree minded its own business somewhere out in a forest or even in a side yard, we wouldn’t be having this conversation, but no, it was inconveniently located right in the middle of our church parking lot. Which under normal circumstances, or with the right type of landscaping, might not have been a big deal, but our parking lot is super small and that tree has been begging for someone to back their car into it for years.
For this reason, I dread Sunday mornings - when the lot is full with a whopping ten cars - because inevitably we’re all playing a game of Russian roulette. “Which will I crash into today: the church building, the pastor’s car, or that stupid holly tree?” So we sit there impatiently waiting for everyone to take their turn backing out using an awkward 12 point turn.
Enter the chainsaws. I'm fairly certain these folks would kill me for saying so, but I was filled with pure joy when the sound of that spinning steel chain roared through the air - and you can bet your tootinany keister that I was front row and center chanting something like "Die, tree. Die!"
That is, until a bird came bolting out of the felled tree, followed shortly after by her nest of baby birds. I know I’m probably going to lose a few readers for writing this, but I hope you can believe me when I say that my stomach immediately wrenched and the only words I could utter for the next several hours were, "I'm a horrible environmentalist." So please don’t send me hate mail. I feel awful already.
To even further cement this conviction was that fact that on my drive home (and despite me slamming on the brakes, mind you) I destroyed yet another feathery life by colliding with a suicidal robin who wouldn’t fly out of the road.
I’m realizing now as I type this that I have no clue how to avoid ending this post on a thoroughly depressing note. So, instead I’ll show you these pictures of when I worked for the National Audubon Society and handled raptors (aka, birds of prey) as a last ditch attempt to assure you that I’m not some closet bird assassin, well not intentionally anyway.
See? Jen + Birds = Friends 4Evr





Jen, this was great! I loved the drawings! I too rejoice in the removal of the holly tree though I was sad to hear of the displaced nest. I also can't believe you hit a Robin in the road that's quite unusual! What a day you had.
ReplyDeletehahahahha. jen. your blogs sometimes bring me to tears. AND THOSE PEOPLE! wow.. interesting bunch. ps: thanks for introducing me to Allie...a true gem. ha! LOVE YOU
ReplyDeleteLove reading your blogs. You inspire me. Maybe you shouldn't have tried to chop that tree down on Friday the 13th!! Not that I believe all that unlucky stuff (maybe that's why all the pics I took yesterday were blurry?). Anyway.....thanks again for your wit
ReplyDeleteLike mother like daughter...I too hit a bird on the way home from the same church. Maybe it was the same one. I'd like to think he lived. Well..until as fate has it that my offspring hit him.
ReplyDeleteI loved your drawings. So talented. The Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Oh wait.. you chopped the tree down!
Love the blog. Can't figure out how to post comment. Serious blog dementia.
ReplyDeleteAdorable drawings and you had me laughing out loud with the commentary. Also, why so serious-looking with those Audubon birds? You look like a Tenenbaum!
ReplyDeletelove you,
Kristen